Rats are a big problem for many residents in the St. Charles area. To detect a rat infestation early or prevent one from occurring, you need to know all about these rodents. Learn how to identify rats and how pest control in St. Charles can help you.
Identify A Rat Infestation
While several types of rats can infest your St. Charles property, most infestations will present similar signs.
Signs of rats include:
- Chew marks on food packaging, furniture, flooring, and other items strongly indicate that you have a rodent problem.
- Grease marks and footprints along walls and floors where the pest is most active.
- Droppings and urine stains will usually be where they have access to food.
- A musty odor, which will get worse as the infestation grows.
- Because rats are nocturnal, you may hear scratching sounds at night.
- If you have a pet, you may notice a change in their behavior, such as focusing on one area of a room.
If you see any of these signs of rats, don't hesitate to call for professional control services. Read on to learn about the dangers of rats and the problems they cause.
The Dangerous Diseases Rats Are Known To Spread
t’s no secret that rats are considered dirty. Known for spending time in sewers, garbages, landfills, and more, rats carry the pathogens they pick up in these places and spread them wherever they go. The diseases rats carry include dysentery, salmonellosis, hantavirus, and rat-bite fever. They can also spread parasites such as mites, ticks, and fleas, spreading other dangerous pathogens.
Not only do rats lead to health concerns, but they are also destructive. This pest can cause both cosmetic and structure damage due to their need to chew constantly because their teeth never stop growing. They can chew through almost any material and even use your belongings and materials from your home’s structure to create their nests.
Keep you, and your family safe from the diseases rats carry by taking action right away if you have an infestation.
Contact The Pros For Safe And Effective Rat Removal
While you might think you can trap and remove rats on your own using store-bought products, you will find that it’s not so easy. Rodents, in general, are challenging to get rid of once they infest a property because they are opportunistic, great at avoiding people, and are quick reproducers, so there are likely more of them than you think. Trapping and removing these pests won't get to the root of the problem, such as how and why they get inside in the first place.
But you don’t have to worry. At Pest Control Consultants, we can help with rats in Illinois. Our experts can assist with your rodent problems, so give us a call today to find out how you can get started with the residential pest control or commercial pest control services you need.
Four Naturally Effective Ways To Prevent Rats From Returning
Once you have a rat-free home, you will likely want to keep it that way.
You can attempt to prevent rats in Illinois with these four natural steps:
- Remove Food Sources Inside: Store food in air-tight containers, remove crumbs and other food debris, and don’t leave dirty dishes or pet food out overnight.
- Remove Food Sources Outside: Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids that cannot be knocked over easily, remove bird feeders, and clear any fallen fruit.
- Remove Water Sources: Repair leaks and damaged wood, clear clogged gutters, and ensure your home has proper ventilation.
- Remove Entry Points: Repair cracks in the foundation and exterior walls, repair damaged screens, and install chimney caps and vent covers.
Don’t forget to contact us at Pest Control Consultants for assistance with different types of rats and other rodent problems you have.