Have you ever wondered where pests go in the wintertime? After a certain point, we stop seeing them outside. Mosquitoes aren’t biting anymore, bees aren’t buzzing about, and ants have seemingly disappeared. What happened? You see, most pests do something called overwintering. This is where insects find a warm place to hunker down during winter until the warm weather comes back in spring. Often they find this in the last place we want them to -- inside our homes.
Overwintering Pests Inside Our Homes
This may surprise you, but the biggest problem with overwintering pests doesn't happen during the wintertime. Most overwintering pests only need our warm homes as a place to lay eggs. Eggs that won’t hatch until spring. The problem is, when these eggs hatch, many of these pests don’t make it outside. They stay in our homes. So, come spring, you might find mass numbers of pests crawling and buzzing around inside your home. Some of the most common of these include lady bugs, box elder bugs, stink bugs, caterpillars, crickets, moths, flies, and mosquitoes.
The Best Way To Keep Overwintering Pests From Settling In
If you are looking for a way to keep the walls and ceiling voids of your home free of overwintering pests, consider the following tips.
- Use a caulking gun and quality caulk to seal up holes in your home's exterior foundation, gaps around window and door frames, and gaps around utility piping.
- Keep your gutters clean and make sure they are properly channeling water away from your home's exterior.
- Make sure all of your window and door screens are in good working order.
- Clean regularly and in areas where you might usually miss such as in the basement and under furniture and appliances.
- Store leftover foods inside plastic containers.
- Pick up pet food and water dishes once your pets are done with them.
- Reduce moisture around your home by installing dehumidifiers in particularly humid areas and by fixing leaks.
How Regularly Scheduled Pest Control Can Help
Here at Pest Control Consultants, we offer a service that ensures your home stays protected against overwintering pests. With just a few non-invasive pest control appointments each year, we can keep your home pest-free this winter as well as year-round! Whatever your budget is, whatever level of protection you are looking for, we have a plan that will fit your needs.
To find the right plan for you, give Pest Control Consultants a call today.